Tuesday, October 04, 2005

The Shadow Proves the Sunshine

Sunshine won't you be my mother?
Sunshine come and help me sing
My heart is darker than these oceans
My heart is frozen underneath
Crooked soul trying to stay up straight
Dry eyes in the pouring rain
The shadow proves the sunshine
two scared little runaways
Hold fast till the break of daylight
When the shadow proves the sunshine
Oh Lord why did you forsake me
Oh Lord don't be far away, away
Storm clouds gathering beside me
Please Lord don't look the other way
I'm a crooked soul trying to stay up straight
Shine on me
Let my shadows prove the sunshine

Jon Foreman of Switchfoot wrote this song.

I appreciate his honesty when he echos the psalms by saying "Oh Lord why did you forsake me/Oh Lord don't be far away". I've been searching for songs that complain to God, but have a sense of hope. Many of the psalms are totally about complaining. And it makes me wonder if the content of our own songs on Sunday mornings or whenever you worship, should have more complaint within them. I've heard some people having "doubt night" and stuff like that...but can doubts and complaining be regular parts of worship?

I think our times together should reflect where we really are and where we want to be. But I think many of our songs, if not most of them, only talk about where we want to be and are pretty superficial...that's just what I think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Josherrrr,

thankYOU for the cmnt.
don't need surgery; thankfully.
i'm bringing molly tonight; she's off the heazy, yo!

talk to you laterrrr.

k. keenz