Friday, October 07, 2005

4 Steps

I'm sure somebody has written this down somewhere, but in thinking through the ministry here in York, I've tried to come up with a way for me to understand the process of changing the way things are done. And I was thinking about how the way we think affects the way we act. I haven't put tons of thoughts into this, so what will be found here is very very raw.

But in the movement of ministry there seems to be about 4 or 5 positions.

1. Content with where we are. Satisfied with the way things are done. There is nothing wrong with the system.

2. Noticing something might not be right. So I criticize what's going on. Just looking at the system itself and complaining. Not ready to change yet.

3. Something's not right, and I want to change that. So, I examine current structures with a critical eye and look at what can be improved or changed for the better.

4. We move forward. We adjust to what we see as the problems and seek to create space for what we desire through a new/old/revised/revisited format.

5. Content with the way we are.

6. Notice something might not be right.

7. I want to change.

8. Move Forward.

I guess it's more than 4, b/c things are always changing. And maybe there is another step that I am missing.

Anyway, i think it's my responsibility as a leader to identify the direction of our ministry, and then to evaluate whether or not we are heading in that direction. And if we aren't, what are the good things that we should keep, what are the bad things we should throw out, and what are things that we can improve.

Also, my responsibility is to help others in the process. To help them move from 1, to 2, to 3, to 4.

What happens if people get stuck on any of these steps? Stagnation...if you get stuck on 2, then you start to complain and that becomes your life...that's not centered in the creativity and love of God.

if you get stuck in 1, then it's possible (unless you have the perfect system and if you do, please call me), that you don't have your eyes open to what's going on. That you are unaware.

if you get stuck in 3, then you're being lazy. You're not moving on. You're not taking the insight you have gained and acting on it.

if you get to 4, great...but that puts you right at one again.

No comments: