Monday, April 10, 2006

Way of the Cross: Station 7-Jesus Dies on the Cross




Image
Pictures of those Jesus loves

Scripture
At the sixth hour darkness came over the whole land until the ninth hour. And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?"—which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

When some of those standing near heard this, they said, "Listen, he's calling Elijah."

One man ran, filled a sponge with wine vinegar, put it on a stick, and offered it to Jesus to drink. "Now leave him alone. Let's see if Elijah comes to take him down," he said.

With a loud cry, Jesus breathed his last.

The curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. And when the centurion, who stood there in front of Jesus, heard his cry and saw how he died, he said, "Surely this man was the Son of God!"

Mark 15:33-39

Reflections:

Jesus’ death was for the forgiveness for all people. Jesus was forsaken so that no one else would have to be. No one, absolutely no one, is outside the shadow of the cross.

But often it is easy to live as if God’s love is only extended to certain people. It easy to exclude people because of what they have done or because they are different from me. But Jesus’ death was for all.

No one can do anything to deserve forgiveness. But to Christ, everyone is worth it.

If Jesus offers forgiveness and new life to all the people in these pictures, that shows the bigness of his forgiveness.

Questions

Have I held back forgiveness from anybody?

Have I kept myself from forgiving others because I think they are unforgivable?

Have I embraced the greatness of his forgiveness for me?

Prayer

Jesus, your forgiveness goes beyond any normal forgiveness. What can I compare your grace to? All I know is that sometimes I don’t live like I am forgiven. Help me to forgive like you. Help me to live as a person with a future written by forgiveness.

No comments: