Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Sweet: Plowed Over

So, we got tired of the Sweetness and decided to just plow through the last 3 chapters and put our thoughts down on those.

So here are my thoughts on the final three chapters. Since he reads like proverbs, I'll list these things as proverbial thingies...

1. Listen deeply. Complaints often hold wisdom or misunderstandings that need to be addressed.

2. Keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer.

3. We all need rest. Sabbath. Peace. Too often we run run run, so that we cannot hear the heartbeat of God, because we are consumed with the running than the reason for running.

4. Find ways for your team to be creative. I have a hard time with this. How do I create space for my youth workers to be creative?

5. There is a difference between planning and preparing. Planning lays out a distinct order of how things are going to go and then is surprised when things don't go that way. Preparing figures out all the possible scenarios and is ready for whatever comes. It's mostly a difference in attitude. Because planning is needed for preparation. You have to plan to be prepared. You have to prepare to plan. But I want to run with this one. What does it look like for me to be prepared in ministry? What does it mean for me to prepare my youth workers? What does it meant to prepare my students? if it is all preparation (not H), is there any direction?

Those are my final Sweet thoughts...

No comments: