Friday, November 18, 2005

Sleepy Squirrels

So I was in bed the other day and Aubrey shouts from downstairs, "Josh, come down here quick! There's a sleeping squirrel."

Now, it's not everyday that you get to see a sleeping squirrel. So, I put on some clothes and rushed downstairs to look out my kitchen window. Right outside the window, in the nook of a tree, was a squirrel with it's tail over it's head and it's eyes closed. And sure enough, it was sleeping.

Anyway, I made some coffee and while I was making it, I saw his eyes open. So I watched a little more. I've never seen squirrel morning rituals, so I watched.

First he looked around.

Then he started washing his body by wetting his tail and then rubbing his tail on his body. But he did it really fast.

I envy the animals that only require spit to wash themselves. Such an easier existence.

Then he climbed up the tree a little and turned to face the ground. And as he was facing the ground, he extended his front paws in the air towards the ground in a stretch, and then balled the paws up like he was punching the air. Never seen that before.

Then he scratched himself profusely.

Then he licked himself...

And then he tried to copulate with a not so cooperative female squirrel.

It was at this point that I thought I should probably give him his privacy.

So I did. I pulled out my camera...no, I took a shower.

Anyway, that's the morning ritual of a squirrel. Much like his human counterparts, except for the saliva bath and licking ourselves and sleeping in a tree.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahahahaha.

that has got to be the funniest thing i've ever heard!

end of story.

Anonymous said...

i was expecting a moral. that sounds interesting and i wish i had witnessed it. squirrels. who'd'a thunk it. i guess stretching and spitbathing makes sense.