Sunday, March 04, 2007

Rob Bell and Ben Witherington

So Doug connected me to a post by Ben Witherington, New Testament scholar at Asbury Seminary. In this post, Dr. Witherington, a generous and in-touch scholar, recognizes the positive influence Rob Bell, pastor at Mars Hill in Michigan, is having on our world today. But he also provides a good critique of Rob's understanding of the Jewish world in Jesus' day. To sum it up, he suggests that Rob's understanding of the Jewish context is taken from a time a few years after Jesus was around.

[Edit]

My friend Brad directed me to a quality conversation about Rob Bell's book Velvet Elvis on John Smulo's blog. Good follow up stuff.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Josh,

Thanks for mentioning my post. I'm looking forward to reading through your blog.

Josh Kleinfeld said...

John,

Brad directed me to your stuff and I've enjoyed perusing, although I have to say that I haven't commented on everything that I've read. Sorry that I've been a casual viewer.

Josh

brad said...

josh,

ben has posted a new review on 'sex god' (march 2). he gives it 3 thumbs up and again, has a very gracious tone in his comments. give it a read:)

brad